OK Mapawatt Blog readers, I'm asking for your help. We're working on a quiz to put up on the Mapawatt Facebook page and I'm having a little difficulty coming up with engaging questions. There are two issues I have:
- I want good questions, not stuff like "How much CO2 is your TV responsible for?" or "What is vampire energy?". We need questions that will cause people to think and take action, not just skim over.
- I want questions that are applicable to people in a wide range of climates. You see, because so much of our energy consumption is based on where we live (not to mention what makes up our energy sources) I would like to find questions that apply to everyone, no matter where they live or how they get their energy.
So, it sounds simple, but when it comes down to it, it takes a little thought. But hey, if millions of people will play Farmville on Facebook, surely they will take the time to do an energy quiz. Right?
Here's what I'm thinking about so far (sorry, I'm not giving out answers yet):
- What is your monthly electricity bill measured in?
- What temperature should your water heater be set at?
- Regarding total energy (including electricity, heating, transportation, industrial, etc.) what original source provides the most? (coal, petroleum, nuclear, solar/wind turbine, natural gas)
- True or False: Compared to an incandescent, a CFL will pay for itself in a few months?
So that's what I have so far (I do have a few surprises up my sleeve). Please leave your quiz question ideas in the comments! You'll see the answers (and the corresponding blog posts) in a few days on our Facebook page.