I recently heard about the LIFX LED that will be funded by Kickstarter from a coworker. If you aren't familiar with KickStarter, it's revolutionizing how ideas get funded. Backers of a project don't have any ownership rights, but sometimes the project owner will give them benefits once the project is funded. LIFX was initally offering backers who gave over $69 a bulb once it was produced. Time Magazine just featured a nice article on crowd-sourcing website that focused on Kickstarter. It looks like the LIFX LED exceeded its fundraising goal by a factor of 10 and they've now raised over 1 million bucks!
From the Kickstarter page:
What can I do with LIFX smartbulbs in my house?
- Control your lights from anywhere
- Choose any brightness for a specific bulb, a room or your whole house
- Create the colors to match any mood or decor
- Get notifications such as Twitter, Facebook, Texts and more
- Reduce your energy consumption and save money
- Visualise your music with animated colors
- Make an impression at your next dinner party
- Get creative with colors and effects
- Create a night light for your kids
- Security mode when you're on holidays
- Create groups of lights
- Robot dance like it's 1999
Can't wait to see this product once it is commercially available. Interested to see what the price points will be. Hopefully their vision becomes a reality!